Sunday, March 17, 2013

St Patricks Day. Cheers To Leprechauns


Today is Saint Patrick's day, the Irish national day and is celebrated to the memory of Saint Patrick who in the 4th Century went around Ireland preaching about christianity using the shamrock to explain the trinity of God to the pagan people of Ireland, the trinity being The Father, The son and The Holy Ghost. Saint Patrick is seen as the leading introducer of Christianity in Ireland. Without writing to
much backstory let's get back to the present time. Traditional celebrations of Saint Patricks day is to wear green, though blue was the original colour associated with Saint Patrick was blue. My question there is. who's was the idea to change the colour form blue to green? I recon there wasn't some fashion designer going "Blue is to dull to represent a saint, why don't we take green instead? Green is fresh and people will think of grass, and we got a lot of that here in Ireland."
And before anyone complain about that sentence I know it had to do with the fact that the shamrock is green, but I don't think God the almighty and creator and father of all people really cares what colour your clothing is, which brings me to the next question I have which is for me as a man quite worrying tradition,
If you see someone, on Saint Patricks day who doesn't wear any green clothing it is said that should punch him as hard as you can between the legs, now I don't know if this refers to women as well
but for me this is a terrifying tradition, 6 months ago I didn't even know when Saint Patrick day was. Today I almost feel constrained to wear green, I don't want some stranger kicking me in the groin just because my choice of clothing.
For me it seems that the celebration of Saint Patrick's Day is just an excuse for people to drink a lot, wear funny costumes and fight eachother for no reasons, why not take up American wrestling instead?















Always Think, Always Question - Nicklas Persson

No comments:

Post a Comment